IMF / Fiscal Monitor Report April 2021 Forecast
07 Apr 2021
WASHINGTON DC, United States
1. Wide shot, IMF building Exterior with Spring Meetings signage
2. Wide shot, IMF logo on building
7 April 2021, WASHINGTON DC
3. SOUNDBITE (English) Vitor Gaspar, Director of the Fiscal Affairs Department at the IMF.
“The first lesson one year into COVID-19 is that fiscal policy can act timely and decisively. The fiscal policy response was unprecedented in speed and size looking across countries. We also learned that countries with easier access to finance or stronger buffers were able to give more fiscal support. They're also projected to recover faster. So, what have we learned? We've learned that fiscal policy is powerful and that sound public finances are crucial in order to enable that power to be used to the fullest,”
4. Long shot, Vitor Gaspar speaking
5. SOUNBITE (English) Vitor Gaspar, Director of the Fiscal Affairs Department at the IMF.
“In the spring 2021, we emphasize differentiation across countries. Moreover, COVID-19 is fast evolving, as are the consequences from COVID-19. The fiscal policy must stay agile and flexible to respond to this fast-evolving situation. Moreover, countries are very different in their structures, in their institutions, in their financial capacity and much else. Therefore, policies and policy advice have to be tailored to fit.”
6. Long shot, Vitor Gaspar speaking
7. SOUNDBITE (English) Vitor Gaspar, Director of the Fiscal Affairs Department at the IMF.
“A fair shot, a vaccination for everybody in the world may well be the highest return global investment ever. But the Fiscal Monitor also emphasizes the importance of giving a fair shot at life success for everyone. It documents that preexisting inequalities made COVID-19 worse and that COVID-19 in turn made inequalities worse. There is here a vicious cycle that threatens trust and social cohesion. Therefore, we recommend stronger redistributive policies and universal access to basic public services like health, education, and social security,”
RECENT - WASHINGTON DC
8. Wide shot, IMF building exterior with virtual Spring Meetings signage
Brian WalkerMedia Relations OfficerUnited Statesbwalker@IMF.org+(1) 202.623.7381+(1) 202.286.5839